It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: PSP music stored in .bin?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time

Converted the game (Umihara Kawase PSP) from CSO to ISO, successfully extracted the ISO, found the music folder, which contains a 5MB "music.bin" file. Header looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/kmNuHhO.jpg

Any ideas how to extract the music? Any tools available?

Edit: tried Nova extractor and got two tiny MIDI files (that sound wrong when played back on their own), and two ~2.5MB .psb files, which Nova can't find anything else in. I'm guessing the game has its own MIDI sound font which rules out any easy ripping of those, but anyone have any ideas on the latter two?

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: PSP music stored in .bin?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:53 pm 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Have thanks: 39 times
anonuk wrote:
Converted the game (Umihara Kawase PSP) from CSO to ISO, successfully extracted the ISO, found the music folder, which contains a 5MB "music.bin" file. Header looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/kmNuHhO.jpg

Any ideas how to extract the music? Any tools available?

Edit: tried Nova extractor and got two tiny MIDI files (that sound wrong when played back on their own), and two ~2.5MB .psb files, which Nova can't find anything else in. I'm guessing the game has its own MIDI sound font which rules out any easy ripping of those, but anyone have any ideas on the latter two?

Psb is probably a false detection due to it searching for any possible header of known files, I would try using psound on the music.bin and hopefully you might find some samples that the midi is supposed to use. If you already did that, maybe dig into the developer's other games on psp/ps2, see if anyone else has figured anything out about their methods. Sorry I can't be much more help, I'll try to secure a copy of the game myself to check it out in the meantime.

Edit: PSound (from http://snailrush.online.fr/ ) found 319 instrument-like samples. typically vag audio (i still dont know why sony named it that) doesnt store names except in a few rare scenarios, so it might be a challenge to link them all the right tracks/spots in the midi.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:18 pm 
ultra-n00b

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at psound.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:02 pm 
ultra-n00b

Pepper wrote:
Psb is probably a false detection due to it searching for any possible header of known files, I would try using psound on the music.bin and hopefully you might find some samples that the midi is supposed to use. If you already did that, maybe dig into the developer's other games on psp/ps2, see if anyone else has figured anything out about their methods. Sorry I can't be much more help, I'll try to secure a copy of the game myself to check it out in the meantime.

Edit: PSound (from http://snailrush.online.fr/ ) found 319 instrument-like samples. typically vag audio (i still dont know why sony named it that) doesnt store names except in a few rare scenarios, so it might be a challenge to link them all the right tracks/spots in the midi.

Thanks. Had spent about half an hour trying to extract music from Ridge Racer 2 PSP game (.bin file). PSound worked perfectly, I hope others will find this topic much faster.