XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Frostbite 2 sound extraction research
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:36 am 
veteran

Have thanks: 13 times

Wop mates,

I really don't know if I'm in the good place for that subject but I would ask you something.

As you can know, it's impossible to extract Battlefield 3 sounds for the moment and two days ago, I found a little trick in Battlefield 3 which allowed me to record ( by StereoMix configuration ) some sounds without any ambient sounds or something ( just a little bit of reverb only ). Now, I would know if some of you guys are interest for that so I'll explain you the trick. I really want to share it with the community because, as a sound designer, I like to have many clear soundbanks.

I'll write the technique once somebody is interested ( post here, not PM ), to be sure that I don't do that for nothing.

Cordialy.

Vosvoy

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: Battlefield 3: Sounds recording technique
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 544 times
Of course, go ahead!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm 
veteran

[DEPRECATED] NOTE: This is a fallback solution if you can't extract Battlefield 3 sounds with the way explained in the links below ( from " durandal217 " ).

All right,

I uploaded a commented YouTube video for that technique, because it's kind of hard to explain by writing.

( I prefer to prevent you that I have a shitty accent but I'll do my best to ensure that you can understand me. Also, don't pay any attention to graphics in-game because I moved on my old notebook. )

EDIT: Okay, sorry for being late guys. Here's the video ( don't try to search it on YouTube, you will never find it. You cannot watch this video if you don't have this link )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5M9eDVy-ws

Update 04/19/2013: Custom close captions on the video and Question-Answer on the topic.

A: This is an audio configuration which allows you to record ALL SOUNDS from your computer. If you don't have it, you have to download an external tool for that. Search on google.

A: Because I think that the soundscape is f*cked up in this area of the map. That's why you have to move slowly to be between the place A soundscape and place B soundscape to " crash " it.

A: Well, if you're a maniac, like me, yes. Because you can record weapons, foley, and voice sounds without any stereo background noise ( which is a pain to remove during post-production ). As I say in my video, all you will got is a very little reverberation but nothing else.

A:That's my question too. I don't know if this glitch is active on another maps ( with no reverberation at all, that will be awesome ). If you find that on another maps, please tell us!

If you use this technique to record the sounds with the intention to spread them around, then you're not welcome here. Keep it for yourself!

By the way, sorry for my bad english.

Stay tuned.

Vosvoy

Last edited by Vosvoy on Thu May 09, 2013 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
veteran

Have thanks: 10 times
You can extract the sounds from BF3.

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.ph ... opic=15731
and
http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.ph ... opic=15780

I have no idea how to use Python though....

Too bad I lost my mind and went through all 10,000 files in sb/toc and converted all the sounds from the 360 version.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 pm 
veteran

Oh, I thought it was impossible to convert the sounds. Too bad for me I don't have XBOX360 version of this game for the moment to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm 
veteran

It wasn't really impossible to begin with. The game uses the same codec as BC2 for 360, the difference here is decoding the toc/sb archives. Aluigi posted his frostbite 2 script which helped me figure out what was sound and what wasn't, of course none of the files had any names so I had to play it by ear. By simply adding .res to the end of each file I used the tools for BC2 and got the sounds converted.

The methods I linked does a lot better, the script will decode everything AND give proper file names (and I think convert it). I tried to use the python scripts but the tutorial doesn't do a great job of explaining step by step so I don't know what I'm suppose to do, I tried, but nothing I did worked.

You guys are a lot more experienced than I, so I'm sure you'll have no problem. One thing I should mention for those going after gun sounds is this: Unlike BC & BC2, BF3 dynamically mixes multiple sounds together to create what you hear in the game.

In terms of in game audio, the method they employ for BF3 is leaps and bounds better then what they did in BC, however if you're looking for a particular sound of a weapon you are going to have to track down what sound files are used for a particular weapon. It is simple enough, just look at the .EBX file in a text editor and locate what file is used for mixing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 pm 
veteran

durandal217 wrote:
You guys are a lot more experienced than I, so I'm sure you'll have no problem. One thing I should mention for those going after gun sounds is this: Unlike BC & BC2, BF3 dynamically mixes multiple sounds together to create what you hear in the game.

In terms of in game audio, the method they employ for BF3 is leaps and bounds better then what they did in BC, however if you're looking for a particular sound of a weapon you are going to have to track down what sound files are used for a particular weapon. It is simple enough, just look at the .EBX file in a text editor and locate what file is used for mixing.

Yeah, because they use some " layers " ( reflections, echoes, SFX, etc... ), based on the environment, on a same base sound. And as you said, it seems to be more tidy than BFBC2 and .dbx files were pretty messed.

By the way, thank's again mate for the links ( is it for PC version? ). I will try that when I had completed convertions of Contract Wars sounds ( maybe make a tutorial for that too, I don't know for the moment ).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 am 
veteran

Oh you're quite welcome. I can't say for certain which version of BF3 the script supports, I couldn't confirm because in the python script it wants the location of cas.cat which I don't know what that is and there is no file in the BF3 directory with that name and extension. That was the problem I kept having and no matter what I couldn't figure out what it was and as a result couldn't get anything to extract.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:16 am 
advanced

Have thanks: 25 times
durandal217 wrote:
because in the python script it wants the location of cas.cat which I don't know what that is.

They are used in Medal of honor warfighter which has FB2 engine too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:56 pm 
veteran

@durandal217: You're definitly my lil' hero :wink: . It works on PC version an get more of 30Gb of sounds. It's not really hard dude ( about the Python scripts ) but the process is f*cking long ( it took me 9 hours on my old notebook and more of 80Gb HDD space ).

If some of you guys need help, I would do it gladly with a lil' video tutorial.

Many regards.

Vosvoy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
double-veteran
double-veteran

Have thanks: 31 times
will the python script works with other fb2 games?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 pm 
veteran

OrangeC wrote:

Sorry but I don't know, for the moment. I own Medal Of Honor Warfighter, but Origin is f*cking with me right now and I can't redownload it. Plus, I don't have another FB2 games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 pm 
veteran

OrangeC wrote:

If it works with BF3 and MoH, it should in theory work on any FB2 powered game.

Vosvoy wrote:
@durandal217: You're definitly my lil' hero :wink: . It works on PC version an get more of 30Gb of sounds. It's not really hard dude ( about the Python scripts ) but the process is f*cking long ( it took me 9 hours on my old notebook and more of 80Gb HDD space ).

If some of you guys need help, I would do it gladly with a lil' video tutorial.

Many regards.

Vosvoy

Could you post a video tutorial for future reference? I might extract the sounds from warfighter, but unless I know exactly what to do with the python script, I'd have to use the 360 method which is long, tedious, and a pain in my rear end.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:25 pm 
veteran

durandal217 wrote:
Could you post a video tutorial for future reference? I might extract the sounds from warfighter, but unless I know exactly what to do with the python script, I'd have to use the 360 method which is long, tedious, and a pain in my rear end.

Sure mate. I will test that when Origin will stop being a d*ck and when I'll finally get my game re-downloaded.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm 
double-veteran
double-veteran

Have thanks: 31 times
Please male tutorial for the 360 version as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next