All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Change head of 3d-game characters as PR stunt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 429 times
Hi,

Looking around to see who can do the following. Change the head of a character into another, real person's face in a game like Counterstrike:Source or other 3D game. Using FaceGen http://facegen.com/ I have created a 3d model of the person's head using a photograph. The idea is to get this head on a character in a game, and release this mod as a PR stunt.

Is there anyone with this type of experience who can do that ?

Post subject: Re: Change head of 3d-game characters as PR stunt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:07 am 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Have thanks: 12 times
Mr.Mouse wrote:
Hi,

Looking around to see who can do the following. Change the head of a character into another, real person's face in a game like Counterstrike:Source or other 3D game. Using FaceGen http://facegen.com/ I have created a 3d model of the person's head using a photograph. The idea is to get this head on a character in a game, and release this mod as a PR stunt.

Is there anyone with this type of experience who can do that ?

Maybe I can do that, but aren't Facegen heads a little overkill?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Because of too many polygons? Is there an easier way to transform photos of faces into good models?
What would you suggest?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:03 pm 
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Have thanks: 68 times
since its CS, you can use the SDK to compile a new model. You can decompile the files with cannonfodder's decompiler I believe. which will attempt to export the source files used by the SDK compiler.

SMD will be the mesh, and QC will be the script file which holds information on linking files or configuring physics and animation related items.

So as an overview you need to;
-Decompile
-Import the SMD into a 3D editor.. stick on the head
-Export to SMD
-Clean QC file
-Compile QC and SMD with Offical SDK Compiler

The compiler of course is just taking all these ascii formats and converting them into Valve's Binary formats optimized for their engine.

The text formats are so basic that they can be easily reverse and plugins created for any 3d editor or what not.. Don't know where they offer that actual format specs for the acsii formats though.

On the other topic, you want to do a very specific thing on the model editing side, which is to use a face gen model. on a separate note, you can also use 123d CATCH to take a exact scan of your face. I posted about this on another site link

Regardless of how you obtain a 3D head scan, or generation. the polygon count will likely be pretty high. Source is pretty flexible though if its not too much you'll be able to get away with it. However 3dsmax has a modifier called ProOptimizer which can reduce the polygon count without losing the mapping information for your textures.

Anyway I would offer to do this for you, but its been like 6 years since I did this stuff.. so I can only imagine it would be a train wreck if I tried. your best off asking someone still active in the CS modding scene. The SDK is always getting changed, thats why the way I use to do things are likely out of date. I'm speaking in terms of the SOURCE SDK and how you compile models for the engine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the output I got from facegen as a first to use. I wonder if you can make some sense of that. Honestly, I have no experience with 3d modelling, so simply sticking a head on...I would not know where to begin.

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 am 
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Have thanks: 250 times
Wait.

Who's head did you base it on? Lol

Noesis Plugins | Reference files

Reference
Guide to 3D model reversal | 3D glossary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:13 am 
veteran

Have thanks: 8 times
I'll work on this for you. I should be able to do it relatively easily. I'll be putting it into Fallout: New Vegas. I'll post an in-game pic within a day as long as I don't run into any snags.

EDIT:

Here you go. I can make it so the character has hair, but it was quicker to just equip a helmet on him. I put him in Charlie's armor from Binary Domain, the AvP Colonial Marine armor, and the marine armor from Crysis 1. (Thanks to chrrox for the Noesis plugin for Binary Domain, and Revelation for the Crysis and AvP plugins.) In Fallout: New Vegas...

Let me know what other kind of shots you need. Specific armor requests? Location or pose requests? I'll be happy to oblige. I'm glad to give something back to the forums here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Awesome! Brilliant!

The head is from one of our right wing politicians in The Netherlands, and we are heading for elections on the 12th of September. I thought it a nice idea to have some of the parties leaders in a game going for each other's throat in a match of counterstrike or similar, but perhaps putting them as opposing forces in Fall-Out: New Vegas or so is also a nice option. Isn't there an arena of sorts we could pit them against eachother? I can work on the other faces.

Would be terrific if we could release a mod for anyone to install in the game :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 pm 
veteran

A friend of mine is very good at posing people and putting them in fighting scenarios. He recently took Chris Redfield and Duke Nukem, put them in an arena, and took a series of screenshots that had them fighting each other. It was pretty neat. So, if you're able to make another face, I can pit them against each other no problem. Or, I can even put the faces on, say, Caesar in the game :)

EDIT: Here are a collection of two battles he posed with characters I rigged for the game: http://www.mediafire.com/?4wd5ck918aj3cw2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Cool, I'll work on some more faces. Would be swell if players could select to play as one politician fighting the others, by his or her choice. 8) If you have a file I can use in my copy of Vegas to take a look at the model you created with the previous face, please drop me an email at mr.mouse@xentax.com ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:34 pm 
veteran

Mr.Mouse wrote:
Cool, I'll work on some more faces. Would be swell if players could select to play as one politician fighting the others, by his or her choice. 8) If you have a file I can use in my copy of Vegas to take a look at the model you created with the previous face, please drop me an email at mr.mouse@xentax.com ;-)

Sure, no problem. The way I have the head set up is that it can be equipped and carried in inventory like any headgear. It just replaces the character's head.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, cool. Would be nice to have them all in one game and the player can then select who he represents, and battle the others if he wants in some kind of arena, if at all possible. Here's the second face, from Mr. Rutte. I also added the photo I used to generate the first, Mr. Wilders.

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

And to go on: here's Mr. Samsom.

Attachments:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Roemer.

Attachments:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Buma, teeth don't fit nicely, but it'll do.

Attachments:

You can make the ads go away by registering