XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 am 
Offline
ultra-n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
So I managed to extract the shadow of the colossus nmo models from my own PS2 disk using a bms script, but unfortunately the models did not keep their UV maps.
Is there a tool somewhere that will let me extract from the NICO dat with the model's UV maps intact? I know the Dormin viewer lets you see the colossi (and other models) with their skeletons and textures applied, but I don't think it lets you extract them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 am 
Offline
veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 131
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 68 times
got any model (with the textures ofc) samples and the script?

i could lean myself out the window and assume you may just have to scale the uvs. the ps2 models i got to extract (using those weirdo 3ds bms scripts) used integer uv coordinates not floating point. they are just damn large. i think they scale around 4096. so you should scale by 1/4096 to get them into the 0 to 1 floating point range.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:29 am 
Offline
ultra-n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
episoder wrote:
got any model (with the textures ofc) samples and the script?

i could lean myself out the window and assume you may just have to scale the uvs. the ps2 models i got to extract (using those weirdo 3ds bms scripts) used integer uv coordinates not floating point. they are just damn large. i think they scale around 4096. so you should scale by 1/4096 to get them into the 0 to 1 floating point range.


Hi there! I'm so sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner! This week has been really hectic for me.
Anywho, I selected the mesh and went into blender's UV window to investigate, but there wasn't even anything there for me to select. I'm not sure if its just so large that I cant see a thing (I even zoomed all the way out to look) or if there really is just nothing there. I even tried doing a select all and it didn't pick anything up.

Image

I've attached Avion's model down below with his textures along with the bms scripts. Unfortunately, the wiki I got the scripts from just went down at the end of September, so I can't link you too the source. I should also probably add that my knowledge of Python is minimal. A lot of this just looks like gibberish to me. I'm just learning...heh...
Oh! And the textures weren't extracted by the scripts. Those I got from another source.


Attachments:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 am 
Offline
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:12 pm
Posts: 1687
Has thanked: 36 times
Have thanks: 1110 times
i think getting models from PS4 remake may be much easier


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:31 am 
Offline
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Posts: 2444
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 586 times
Have thanks: 1260 times
Snapdragons wrote:
I've attached Avion's model down below with his textures
What you uploaded is the already converted .3ds file without uvs, afaiks.
What we need is the original model, i.e. eeMemory.bin, or something else, the file where you extracted the .3ds from.

Also you provided two bms scripts; which one did you use? (nico.bms seems to be an earlier version.)

btw:
Snapdragons wrote:
Unfortunately, the wiki I got the scripts from just went down at the end of September, so I can't link you too the source. I should also probably add that my knowledge of Python is minimal. A lot of this just looks like gibberish to me.
It's not a python script, it's bms scripts for quickbms. (Using nonsense names for variables like "spyrodragon", "rubyfox" or "snake" makes the scripts hard to read, yes. :D )

_________________
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
ultra-n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
shakotay2 wrote:
Snapdragons wrote:
I've attached Avion's model down below with his textures
What you uploaded is the already converted .3ds file without uvs, afaiks.
What we need is the original model, i.e. eeMemory.bin, or something else, the file where you extracted the .3ds from.

Also you provided two bms scripts; which one did you use? (nico.bms seems to be an earlier version.)

btw:
Snapdragons wrote:
Unfortunately, the wiki I got the scripts from just went down at the end of September, so I can't link you too the source. I should also probably add that my knowledge of Python is minimal. A lot of this just looks like gibberish to me.
It's not a python script, it's bms scripts for quickbms. (Using nonsense names for variables like "spyrodragon", "rubyfox" or "snake" makes the scripts hard to read, yes. :D )


Aha, my "ultra-noob" hat becomes me, doesn't it? ( I suppose this is what happens when a sound engineer tries to 3D model, hm? bwhaha!)

I extracted the models from the NICO.dat copied off of my own PS2 disk. I don't quite think XeNTaX can allow such an upload?
As for which script I used, I believe it was the "nmobmsupdated" I simply downloaded both since the wiki was going down and I wasn't sure if it was going to be useful at any point.
And to address your last statement, now you see why I need help? Haha! I had never used bms (or any major scrips) before this, so my terminology is...quite off. :tard: (But I am slowly trying to learn).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline
ultra-n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
daemon1 wrote:
i think getting models from PS4 remake may be much easier


You are probably quite correct, but since my PS2 and PS3 copies of sotc are all I currently have, I figured there wasn't much harm in trying. Cause clearly my PS4 file-hunting skills are uhhh... :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:23 pm 
Offline
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Posts: 2444
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 586 times
Have thanks: 1260 times
Snapdragons wrote:
I extracted the models from the NICO.dat copied off of my own PS2 disk. I don't quite think XeNTaX can allow such an upload?
We only need a small part of that Nico.dat. Last time I handled PS2 uvs I had a 32 MB eeMemory.bin file as input for a bms script.

Guess that Nico.dat is much bigger? Did you use it to be loaded by your bms scripts or do you have smaller fragments of that dat? Otherwise the first 32 MB of the Nico.dat should be sufficient to look for the uvs.

You could create it by using a hexeditor, load the .dat, select the bytes from offset 0 to 0x2000000 then "save selected" (or something like that, save as binary data).

_________________
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline
veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 131
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 68 times
well. yes, the model is already xtracted. nothing we can do with that data. you coulda just uploaded the bird_A.nmo and textures. that's how it rolls here.

and while i'm getting a rom and further search for file extractors (that may not exist anymore) you could check out this link and see if that sotc viewer can help you get what you want, easily. i really don't feel like rewriting another of those scripts (if i'd ever meet this guy i gotta punch him for writing this cryptic and incomplete mess that nobody could finish easy. what a stupid dummy).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Posts: 2444
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 586 times
Have thanks: 1260 times
episoder wrote:
(if i'd ever meet this guy i gotta punch him for writing this cryptic and incomplete mess that nobody could finish easy. what a stupid dummy).
yeah, punching people who create solutions.
If that isn't stupid? :roll:
The author is a funny guy, indeed, guess, a very young one, when he wrote the scripts, but there's no reason to insult him.

The real problem is the cryptic 3D format of PS2.

_________________
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline
veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 131
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 68 times
shakotay2 wrote:
episoder wrote:
(if i'd ever meet this guy i gotta punch him for writing this cryptic and incomplete mess that nobody could finish easy. what a stupid dummy).
yeah, punching people who create solutions.
If that isn't stupid? :roll:
The author is a funny guy, indeed, guess, a very young one, when he wrote the scripts, but there's no reason to insult him.

The real problem is the cryptic 3D format of PS2.


didn't get the 'joke'? i gotta use more smilies again? :lol: to not be read like seriously 'offending'? ugh man, i hate this negative reception sometimes. you didn't feel well that you read it wrong? still the same. the code he wrote is aweful to work with second hand.

and yeh the data is not really cryptic but packed af. the VU and VIF are lil weird processors to feed. they can take random data streams/buffers and rearrange arbitrary into the output stream (GSpackets) buffers, where a normal shader gpu is streamlined with fixed input slots. me decoding this face index array on the cavia files was like writing a VU program to output the streamlined polygon data to feed the GS. nuts. :D

edit: well. i need some sleep. this is making my head hurt. if you wanna take a look at a bird. @shakotay i dunno if it's the same tho. there are alot of birds in the dat file and i don't wanna try to extract all of the 16000+ models (as far as the signature search goes). i gotta figure out the structures first, not doing binary search. i had to get another hexeditor tho and it's not helping it's lacking a bunch of keyshort features. :| gotta like xvi.


Attachments:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:30 am 
Offline
ultra-n00b
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
episoder wrote:
well. yes, the model is already xtracted. nothing we can do with that data. you coulda just uploaded the bird_A.nmo and textures. that's how it rolls here.

and while i'm getting a rom and further search for file extractors (that may not exist anymore) you could check out this link and see if that sotc viewer can help you get what you want, easily. i really don't feel like rewriting another of those scripts (if i'd ever meet this guy i gotta punch him for writing this cryptic and incomplete mess that nobody could finish easy. what a stupid dummy).


Ah! I didn't quite know how to extract the nmo file itself. I see you two suggesting hex editors, and I'm still trying to learn about those... :urg:
And I've seen that tool you linked! But my computer's anti-virus keeps catching and deleting it. I know its likely safe, but I was wondering if you had any input on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:55 am 
Offline
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Posts: 2444
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 586 times
Have thanks: 1260 times
this is what I get using a little bit patched .nmo /script:

First three lines of header seem to be ok but output doesn't make too much sense to me:

offset filesize filename
--------------------------------------
name obj_bird_A.nmo.1.3ds
00000000 112 obj_bird_A.nmoa.1.3ds

- 1 files found in 0 seconds
coverage file 0 202% 830565 409735 . offset 0000000f
coverage file -2 100% 36 36 . offset 00000024
coverage file -4 100% 8 8 . offset 00000008
coverage file -7 100% 410009 409732 . offset 000000d2
coverage file -8 100% 112 112 . offset 00000060
coverage file -11 100% 3 3 . offset 00000003
coverage file -12 100% 4 4 . offset 00000004


Attachments:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.


_________________
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Posts: 2444
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 586 times
Have thanks: 1260 times
pointcloud with a missing wing?


Attachments:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.


_________________
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shadow of The Colossus PS2 Models: UVs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline
veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 131
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 68 times
well. the dat container is really bad to read. no clear start and clear pointers. you see the script uses binary search to find the signatures. it does not hit the NMO directly either. neither extracts files as files. means i had to wing that file with the bird_A string and using some signature to signature logic, not the correct way either. that would be pointer to start and filesize, which is can't assemble right now.

anyway, now that i look at the file it may be an animation file. it uses a different 'data command' even. 0x6C not 0x68. shit.

if you don't mind downloading a rom for 700 megs, you get the 2.4 gig dat file with all of it. i won't reup it.

i'm gettin somewhere in this rabbit hole. i still dunno what is a 'folder' or 'subfolder' and what should be considered a 'file'. xff definitions seem like wrappers for files, cause this NTO2 texture is a direct payload in that particular xff structure. xff2 should be considered a folder? huh. i dunno. when i get there, i'll mosdef have to dump all the textures into a single nto folder as it seems. may be easy to code a custom importer to load from a single texture path. :mrgreen:

i need a break tho. chill with my tv *cough* stream. lol

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shana2010 and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group