All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Iron Man II XBox360/PS3 PKG Archive Unpacker & Decompressor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 am 
advanced

Have thanks: 17 times

You can make the ads go away by registering

Iron Man II XBox360/PS3 PKG Archive Unpacker & Decompressor Plus Manual Extracting Guide

An experimental BMS scripts pack for unpacking/decompressing .pkg archives from Iron Man II, supporting both XBox360 and PS3 versions.

The unpacker has three different versions with various functions for different demands. Their differences are showed as following:

IronMan2_Unpacker

It's the most simple version among the three which will extract everything into one folder named after the input file name.

IronMan2_Unpacker_SF

As you might see extracting everything to one folder things may look like a mess. This version will extract everything into
separate folders named after the loop order. This could be very useful when you're trying to unpack those tremendous archives which contain
tens of thousands of files. It actually sorts files by file types so it also can be helpful if you want to handle just textures
or meshes.

IronMan2_Unpacker_Plus

It shares all features with the previous one, additionally it logs every data chunk(i.e. temporary file) to a separate archive with the same name
as the folder except if the chunk was compressed without a specified unzip size, in which case the file would suffix with "_Deompressed"
and the original directory in the archive no longer makes sense. Just in case it's needed.

In the most ordinary circumstance, I recommend you to use the middle one coz it's not necessary to take notice of temporary file.

Since the script breaks the archive into pieces(skeleton and weights as individual files as well), plus I'm a little bit lazy, currently I have no plan
to write any additional scripts/tools to handle meshes or textures. So if anyone is gonna to make this happen, please be my guest. :D

An individual decompressor should help quicken the process:

IronMan2_Decompressor

It decompresses the archive and updates the original entries/directories, with padding size changed to 0x100, which can be modified at the very
end of this script. And it replaces the original zip size fields by ZERO so the structure of the archive does change at all.

But I will attach a short manual extracting guide instead. See my next post.

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

Last edited by Bigchillghost on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Iron Man II XBox360/PS3 PKG Archive Unpacker & Decompres
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:45 am 
advanced

I. Model Extraction
Previews
ImageImage
ImageImage

First and foremost, knowledge of using Hex2Obj is required.

I'll take "DVD_SuitUpIronManMark6.pkg" from PS3 as an example, XBox360 version should be similar.

After unpacking the archive with "IronMan2_Unpacker_SF.bms" there should be five folders named from "0" to "4".
In the folder "0" there are files suffixing with "_ib_gpudata", for face indices; and "_vb_gpudata", for vertices/UV data or both.

Folder "4" contains index files for all other files outside this folder. Here files suffixing with "_vb_gpumaindata" are the actual vertices file and in this case,
"_vb_gpudata" suffixed files in folder "0" are just UV files. You can take a look at them to obtain a basic understanding of UV data. It shouldn't be too hard to calculate FI & vertices counts, and you don't even need to find their start address because they both are 0x0. Just copy everything into one file(face indices, vertices, UVs if it's separated) and record the needed offsets and counts.

But of course these info can be found in the header files in the index folder, here the "4" folder.

For PS3 version:

Code:
Files suffixing with                              Explanation

_vb_gpumaindata            Vertex coordinate data, no UVs, UVs are in separate file with same basename but suffixs with _vb_gpudata
_ib                        Face indices data header
_vb                        Vertex data header
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_ib_gpudata               Face indices data
_vb_gpudata               Vertex data, could contain UVs(depends upon whether _vb_gpumaindata exist or not)

Header file structures

_ib Structure
Code:
0x1C   LONG   Faces count
0x20   LONG   Face indices count
0x24   LONG   Vertex count

_vb Structure
Code:
0x18   LONG   Vertex count
0x40   LONG   Vertex stride size
0x44   LONG   Vertex coordinate data size

0x60   LONG   UVB size
0x64   LONG   UV data size
0x68   LONG   UV data start offset

For XBox 360 version:
Code:
Files suffixing with                        Explanation

_ib                                 Face indices data header
_vb                                 Vertex data header
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_ib_gpudata                        Face indices data
_vb_gpudata                        Vertex data, contains UVs

Header file structures

_ib Structure
Code:
0x20      LONG   Face indices count
0x24      LONG   Vertex count 

_vb Structure
Code:
0x0C      LONG   Vertex count
0x1C      LONG   Vertex stride size

0x2C      LONG   UVB size
0x30      LONG   UV data start offset

To obtain UVs, just load your mesh with "HF_UV" type selected.

Extra information for Hex2Obj:
BigEndian; VB mode; Vertex data type set to Float(or HF_UV); FVFsize 12, 16, 28; UVB size 4, 12.

II. Textures Extraction
Full size image previews
ImageImage

In this case, textures are stored in folder "1" and "2" with different resolution. Chances are that the one with smaller size could sometimes contain bigger-res textures. Each file inside is a small textures pack containing at least 1 map, usually 2. Texture info stores in suffixal files with _Diffuse/_AmbientOcclusion/_Normal/_LightEmission in folder "4". Their structure is showed bellow:
Code:
Offset   Type   

0x00     LONG        Unknown, always be 0.
0x04     LONG        Entry size, 0x1C per entry.
0x08     LONG        Size of the entire entry, barring 0xC bytes header.
0x0C     LONG        DDS formats, 0x0 for dxt1, 0x3 for dxt5, 0x4 for dxt1 packed ATI1/BC4, 0x6 for DXT5 packed normal map(X360), or dxt5 NormalMap(PS3),
                      0x8 for ?
0x10     LONG        Image width
0x14     LONG        Image height
0x18     LONG        MIP maps number
0x1C     LONG        Texture data start offset in each texture pack, first entry for SurfaceResident, second for SurfaceStreamed when have two entries.
0x20    LONGLONG      0xFF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF, ending string of this directory.
Pattern repeats if entry number is larger than 1. The last four bytes represent the group amount containing the same map in different resolusion.

I don't know how to handle MIP maps for XBox360 version in Noesis, but this Noesis script should do the trick:
Code:
from inc_noesis import *
def registerNoesisTypes():
    handle = noesis.register("Iron Man II XBox360 Textures", ".i2t")
    noesis.setHandlerTypeCheck(handle, noepyCheckType)
    noesis.setHandlerLoadRGBA(handle, noepyLoadRGBA)
    return 1
def noepyCheckType(data):
    if len(data) < 8:
      return 0
   return 1
def noepyLoadRGBA(data, texList):
    datasize = len(data)       
    bs = NoeBitStream(data, NOE_BIGENDIAN)
    imgWidth =                   #Set your image width here       
    imgHeight =                  #Set your image height here
    data = bs.readBytes(datasize)     
    #data = rapi.imageUntile360DXT(rapi.swapEndianArray(data, 2), imgWidth, imgHeight, 16)   # XBox360 version needed, change 16 to 8 if format is dxt1
    texFmt = noesis.NOESISTEX_DXT5   # change 5 to 1 if format is dxt1
    texList.append(NoeTexture(rapi.getInputName(), imgWidth, imgHeight, data, texFmt))
    return 1

Before you use it remember split the texture group to individual file and rename them to .i2t format. Select "Reload Plugins" under "Tools" every time you modify the script.
Some textures cannot be handled correctly. I guess it might be using a different order of RGB coz Alpha looks OK in Photoshop, or it's in different formats.

Last edited by Bigchillghost on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 am 
veteran

Have thanks: 6 times
Man,this is amazing! i can't belive what someone managed to extract models/textures from this game after so many years! Thanks you so much!!
Btw,can you try to look into Igb files from Wii version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance? (this game is totally different ,but since you have skills in reversing game file formats i would ask you for a help,because no one couldn't help me)
Samples are here: https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4410
Thanks in advance!
P.S And will these scripts work with 1st game?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 am 
advanced

Rutabaga wrote:
And will these scripts work with 1st game?

I don't know. Never have looked into that so not sure if they share the same format or not
Rutabaga wrote:
Btw,can you try to look into Igb files from Wii version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance?

Well, I havn't been able to extract meshes successfully from Wii game yet. Things seem to be different there so I'm afraid I can't help too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:21 pm 
VIP member
VIP member

Have thanks: 451 times
Bigchillghost wrote:
@AceWell Come and take a look if you're interested in it! :D

you have a lot going on here and too much to take in at one time :D
i don't have the game or any of the sample files so there is no way for me to give input.

Bigchillghost wrote:
Getting UVs is more complicated. First you save the mesh with "Float" type selected, then save another mesh again with "HF_UV". After that open both .obj files in Notepad and replace the UVs(the "vt ..." block) in the latter result with that in the first one and save it.

i'm a little confused about this here, you shouldn't need to save 2 meshes.
"HF_UV" automatically assumes your vertex data to be "Float" and therefore saves
the mesh out like that, or maybe i am misunderstanding your process. :)

TextureFinder
Unity Assets Bundle Extractor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:41 am 
advanced

AceWell wrote:
i don't have the game or any of the sample files so there is no way for me to give input.

I was waiting for you to say that. :D
Here the textures samples.

Edit: You might need some .pkg files as well to write a script.
AceWell wrote:
you have a lot going on here and too much to take in at one time :D

For textures info you could see it right above the Noesis script at the second post.
AceWell wrote:
you shouldn't need to save 2 meshes.
"HF_UV" automatically assumes your vertex data to be "Float" and therefore saves
the mesh out like that, or maybe i am misunderstanding your process. :)

Whoops...I've just noticed that. Thanks for the hints.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 am 
advanced

Bug Fixed:
Simplify the entry name code part. Since the second name string table in those large archives do not refer to each entry at all, now the folder is named after the loop order only.