XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: .MDB model file type? importer. Space pirate ships of doom!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm 
advanced

Have thanks: 0 time
Hey Xentex forums. I was just playing around with really old games on my computer and low and behold I found one so old it does not actually have file archives. all the textures are just TGA and the models are all MDB file types.
This was just shocking to me... I was dumb founded to find a game without archives I didn't have to crack open, ANYWAYS. on to the good stuff. it is very old the game came out in 2001, and the file type is .MDB file type for the models. nothing Ih ave found can open or convert them. I can't imagine these are very complex. I want to know if someone here has the time to create a blender import script for the static mesh and UV map? I would be for ever grateful I am including the tiny tiny model file for the test file.

If any one could help that would be so cool!

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

Post subject: Re: .MDB model file type? importer. Space pirate ships of do
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 am 
VIP member
VIP member

Have thanks: 630 times
i can't help with Blender scripts but here is first submesh of CivilianGalleonShip_Layer2.mdb :D

the stride actually starts at 0x1c but Hex2obj expects xyz values to be first so i had to shift the vertex start address to 0x20

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

Asset Studio
TextureFinder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 am 
advanced

AceWell wrote:
i can't help with Blender scripts but here is first submesh of CivilianGalleonShip_Layer2.mdb :D

the stride actually starts at 0x1c but Hex2obj expects xyz values to be first so i had to shift the vertex start address to 0x20

Whoa! Ace that is amazing! that is the front of the first ship!? forgive my ignorance and my excitement, but please could you share how you did that? I will replicate the results.
It looks like you used Hexadecimal editing?

Hm as a side note i can only download 24c of hex2obj.
Thank you so much for all your work! I actually got it, by inputting the numbers you gave me I was able to open the same file you did!

I'm sorry to ask, but I want to know how you found those numbers? I tried reading the tutorial but there was so much there I got lost as to what I was actually looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 am 
VIP member
VIP member

Xr79 wrote:
Hm as a side note i can only download 24c of hex2obj.

I'm sorry to ask, but I want to know how you found those numbers? I tried reading the tutorial but there was so much there I got lost as to what I was actually looking for.

you can get 24d from this post
viewtopic.php?p=119417#p119417

i'm afraid no one can teach you how to identify data types and counts and offsets, that
is something each user has to learn through experience by doing on his/her own through
trial and error, but vertex data and indices and image data usually has a distinct look
that you will learn to guess what it is the more you see it. :)

if you read through this thread you can get some helpful tips to make things easier :D
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894

Asset Studio
TextureFinder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:07 pm 
advanced

Ah no wonder I couldn't find it. still thank you for you help. I guess i will have to hold out for an importer script for blender, I did try to teach myself how to find the patterns but sheesh I can't see them. I'm a graphics artiest not a coder. still thank you again for all your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 am 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Have thanks: 57 times
Can you tell me which game uses the .mdb format ?

I converted your sample file to Wavefront .obj/mtl format.

Attachments:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:40 pm 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Thank you for your information, I released the v6.511 as a web update now.

How to get the 3D Object Converter v6.511:
Please download the 3D Object Converter from http://3doc.i3dconverter.com and install it or download and use the portable version.
After it just use the Help/Check for updates... function to get the v6.511.

I recommend to copy all of .mdb and .dds files (BD_Textures folder) to the same folder. If you open a .mdb file (and you turned on the textured view) you will see the full textured model.

Attachments:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:14 pm 
advanced

Hey yeah that is pretty cool! but uh, 3d object converter is really expensive and I can't afford it sadly enough being on a fixed income. I will have to hold out for a importer script for blender or a free way to convert it. still thank you for the update!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:58 pm 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Xr79 wrote:
but uh, 3d object converter is really expensive.

I think it is absolutely not expensive for the LIFETIME license.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:36 pm 
advanced

50 bucks for a tool to use on one project
? yeah, that is very expensive. I will wait for an import script or something else. again though thank you for the update.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm 
advanced

Turns out never winter uses the same .MDB file type, but they are different some how? their importers are not cross compatible, probably different files all together. since the MDB file is basically a hexidecimal model wouldn't that mean a Hex importer would work for blender?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm 
advanced

AceWell wrote:

Hey ace well, this is the only way I knew of to contact you again, sicne you have PM's turned off, I hope I can reach you.
I have another Binary model file type, its an XLM file type that was decrypted by HCS. great guy! he was able to help me out of a tight jam.
but now i have binary models with no way to open them, I messaged the 3dobject converter staff and got the rudest reply ever. basically telling me they don't want to support he file because they don't like it.

Would you be able to open the MLX format in Hex2obj like before? just give me a ray of hope that our decryption worked?

decrypted XLM.s
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz0v27nbkhi0e ... X.rar?dl=0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 am 
VIP member
VIP member

the random mlx samples i looked at contained image data, but i rarely deal with PSP game formats though, sorry :(

edit
indeed there is some gim format texture data in there and Noesis can open them, not sure about models.

Asset Studio
TextureFinder

Last edited by Acewell on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 pm 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Xr79,

You wrote that to me: These looks to be simple model formats.

I wrote that to you: I don't plane to support this terrible format.

I think you must ask to Chrrox (creator of the .mlx Blender importer script). Maybe he will understand the new .mlx format.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm 
advanced

AceWell wrote:
the random mlx samples i looked at contained image data, but i rarely deal with PSP game formats though, sorry :(

edit
indeed there is some gim format texture data in there and Noesis can open them, not sure about models.

Oh my gosh, acewell thank you for just messaging me back even to say that. I am 100% serious. no one has been replying even if I ask them, even chorrox or Gomttu the original creators of the MLX importer, that is why I'm so desperate. they aren't even replying to say they don't want to or don't have the time to help, even that would be nice.

I thought you would be able to do this since you know how to work byte alignment. in the original Import Valkyria script that i have (written in python) you can see it is supposed to import the data in the MLX file into blender. but for the smaller PSP files the byte alignment is very slightly off. this causes the import script to fail.
if we just knew the alignment we might be able to edit the python script to work.
the files are Binary to much like the one you cracked open in Hex 2 Obj. but I don't know anything about this stuff I am a 3d modeler and animator. I do everything but coding.
this is not a personal project this is a project for a mod that me and a small team are working on that a lot of people are counting on, even the developers of running with rifles have been helping occasionally. they are adding 3d character model support soon because our mod team asked. we need these files open.

here is a working MLX file, you can see it is so alike the SMG or LMG of the decrypted ones they hardly look different at all.
the VALWRF MLX is a rifle file there is a model in it, and vertex data. same with the SMG.
C:\Users\XR79\Desktop\New folder (2)\jpcsp-windows-amd64\umdimages\Valkyria_Chronicles_3_EN_v2_files\PSP_GAME\INSDIR\DATA.BIN_unpacked

Import Valkyria python script
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmclitbg8kck6 ... 6.zip?dl=0