XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Havok binary files
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:09 am 
beginner

Have thanks: 5 times

volfin wrote:
HunterAP wrote:
How did you manage to convert from the HKX bone coordinates and rotations to SMD format?
If I could find a way to batch the process, I could get full DSIII animations out.

This is a project I started last year for Alien:Isolation, it's a HKX converter that outputs SMD skeleton. It works with 2012.2.0 and 2010.2.0, I had intended to take it all the way with support for many versions, and animation output, but I simply moved on to other projects. It's written in C#, a lot of the file structure is defined at the top of Program.cs, and maybe will help people, so I'm making the code public.

https://bitbucket.org/Volfin/hkx2smd/overview

I tried building your program as both x86 and x64, normally running the 2014.1.0-r1 HKX files give some errors in the header, but if I copy-paste the 2012.2.0-r1 header over the original, the program reads everything and gets up to "class hkaskeleton signature: 0xFEC1CEDB", then after a few seconds the program crashes with the "System.OutOfMemoryException" error. Looking it up says that I don;t have enough memory, even though I have 16GB of RAM, but I'm assuming that your program is looking for a big chunk of sequential memory that I may not have if my memory usage is fragmented.

What's interesting is that I've tried this with multiple skeletons, and it doesn't matter what size the HKX file is, I still get the error.

I would fix the issue myself, but I'm not versed in C#, so I don't know how to fix it in the code myself.

If you'd like, I could just send you a HKX sample of the skeleton and animations.

You can make the ads go away by registering

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 am 
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Have thanks: 220 times
Well the point of me releasing it is that I have no time to mess with it anymore (haven't touched it since Alien:Isolation). I know it worked for Alien: Isolation and Skyrim, but don't guarantee anything else. The problem is HKX is very customizable so the format varies widely from game to game, and then on top of that many developers modify it in-house to do even more strange things, and some even obfuscate it purposely to prevent people reverse engineering their animations.

So likely the code will have to be tweaked for every particular game, no small job. That's why I gave the code out. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:52 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 1 time
As I understand, the spline compression is a technic that is animation specific.

See this article at riot game engineering
https://engineering.riotgames.com/news/compressing-skeletal-animation-data
So, it is likely there is no simple link between the hkx file and the animation keys.

Maybe the way hkx animation is encoded is similar to the one described in the article that is to say :
- rotation is encoded as quaternion (x,y,z,w),
- the highest value among (x,y,z,w) is discarded as x^2+y^2+z^2+w^2=1 and can thus be reconstructed from the 3 others,
- bytes need to be read according to a key (m bytes for discarded value, n bytes for remaining value1, n bytes for remaining value2, n bytes for remaining value3)

edit : this article at bitsquid describes also the technic
http://bitsquid.blogspot.fr/2009_11_01_archive.html

Best regards

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 pm 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Have thanks: 19 times
The SDK also has a LOT of documentation files in it, including files for all the compression types instead of just Spline. It's not available through Intel anymore but I managed to save copies. Feel free to PM me for the link.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:26 am 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 1 time
Sergeant Joe,

I thank you for your reminding of the Intel documentation.
I have downloaded havok 2013 before Intel closed the public access.
At the time I downloaded, I couldn't make any sense of spline compression.

Now, I understand better :
After spending some time on xentax forum, I started to get acquainted with binary files ans lately with file compression.
Following your advice, I looked again at havok 2013 help files.

The game I'm interested in is using spline compression.
So, I restricted my field of research the spline compression.

There are havok default settings for spline compression :
Position : 16 bits
Rotation : 40 bits
Scale : 16 bits
Float (what for ? timeline ?) : 16 bits
Frames per block : 256

As the spline compression is highly customizable(*) in havok, this should only be considered as a reference.
At least, it gives the structure of the data.

I am a beginner at reading binary files but it looks like an interesting challenge :

- identify blocks,
- identify number of frame per blocks,
- guess bone ordering,
- guess quantization for each bone,
- translate into skeleton pose,
- translate into animation.

I need to evaluate the required time.

Best regards

Phil

*() : Even, a per bone customization is possible. The doc says :
"Judiciously setting compression parameters per bone can result in a significant reduction in output data size. One such use case is to create level of detail compression by grouping bones roughly by depth in the hierarchy; tight tolerances could be user for "major bones" such as spine and arm bones while more relaxed tolerances for "minor bones" such as hands and fingers could be used to gain additional savings. A similar use case might involve grouping bones as "upper body" and "lower body". Extremities such as hands often contain a significant number of bones though their visual impact may be limited."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 0 time
Does anyone have a working link for the script that flips the skeleton or model because when I open animation in 3dsmax the skeleton has the right animation but the model is all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 pm 
ultra-n00b

Would anyone mind helping me out with obtaining the animation data for Dark Souls III?

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 pm 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Have thanks: 19 times
zweihard wrote:
Would anyone mind helping me out with obtaining the animation data for Dark Souls III?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Havok formats are incredibly difficult, even with all the documentation nobody has been able to figure it out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 pm 
ultra-n00b

SergeantJoe wrote:
zweihard wrote:

Sorry, you're out of luck. Havok formats are incredibly difficult, even with all the documentation nobody has been able to figure it out.

Reverse engineering job huh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6