All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Crash Bandicoot 1/2/3 (PSX) - NSF/NSD File Archives
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:48 pm 
beginner

Have thanks: 34 times

ManDude wrote:
Anyone having problems going to http://www.sites.google.com/site/crashpsxsite/structure? The site seems to be down. Could anyone get me Ruination's ID? I need to restart that level. EDIT: Nevermind, it's 0F (I got it first try lol).

Due to some circumstances, that page is gone now. There is supposedly a new list here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yZX49fsW7VpN7ODnFbugFIpSGbajqPsFHUqMdti5IOk/edit (seems to require javascript). I still need to update the link in the readme.

You can make the ads go away by registering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:46 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 4 times
That list also includes 02 for Crash 1, nice.

By the way, box count in Crash 1 isn't specified anywhere (at least I didn't find it yet, and no, it's not in Crash's spawning point), so it can be automatic. Need to test it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 pm 
n00b

I'm having a problem trying to change Cortex's (CB2) music in his boss battle (ID is 07 btw). I was successfully able to change the music, but it doesn't play properly in-game: It's slowed down alot, and some instruments can't even be heard. The changed SEQ works correctly, so I would've thought this was a problem with CrashEdit replacing SEQs. Help? This isn't caused by making the music entry be in another chunk either, as this problem was occurring before I added the chunk.

EDIT: It is, I exported the SEQ I replaced with and heard it with Awave Studio and it was broken. Also FL Studio (11) doesn't even recognize notes in there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:33 pm 
beginner

Have thanks: 34 times
ManDude wrote:
I'm having a problem trying to change Cortex's (CB2) music in his boss battle (ID is 07 btw). I was successfully able to change the music, but it doesn't play properly in-game: It's slowed down alot, and some instruments can't even be heard. The changed SEQ works correctly, so I would've thought this was a problem with CrashEdit replacing SEQs. Help? This isn't caused by making the music entry be in another chunk either, as this problem was occurring before I added the chunk.

EDIT: It is, I exported the SEQ I replaced with and heard it with Awave Studio and it was broken. Also FL Studio (11) doesn't even recognize notes in there.

Interesting. Are you sure what you imported was a SEQ and not a SEP? They have mostly the same header, so crashedit and other programs can't even tell the difference between them, and will end up loading it as the wrong format if you specify the wrong one. This is what I experienced when I was first working on the music support, I was unaware that I was exporting SEP instead of SEQ and most of the initial notes would get discarded. If any of the data before it gets back on track contains tempo change or program change events, it'll mess up the rest of the playback.

I'll try messing around with the cortex music.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:57 pm 
n00b

I exported the edited SEQ that I imported to CrashEdit and checked it with Awave Studio (10.6 btw) and one of the events was to set tempo to 7 BPM at the start right after an event that sets the tempo to 165 BPM (the correct amount), and the ticks (edit: steps, not ticks) were all messed up (so it has over 16k ticks (edit: I mean steps) instead of 224).

Though, this is not as important now, since I found how to rip the instruments with CrashEdit (too lazy for PSound), the VAGs have really low volume though (this I fix manually).

EDIT: I right-clicked the SEQ and exported it in CrashEdit (it saves as SEQ), plus Awave doesn't recognize SEP so I don't know what's wrong.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 pm 
n00b

Since there is literally nowhere else to post this on, here is some stuff found by me and others and that hasn't been documented already (most of it is just random facts):

• Game doesn't like if you delete code or models in Crash 2-3. It's fine if you delete anything else. EDIT: I found something in the "new" NSD that fixes this for some code entries, it's a list of 64 entries, which will be called NONE! if they do not correspond to an actual code entry in the file.
  • VCOL (T15) stands for Video Collision.
  • Using NONE! in load lists can confuse the game, and makes it have short freezes all the time while in that zone.
  • Where are Crash 1's box count values?
  • Scenery draw lists don't use scenery names to draw polygons, instead they trust the zone entry's index item to tell them which scenery is being drawn. i.e. A zone (10_0Z) tells 1000S to draw polygon X on the second scenery entry in the index (12_0W), can cause glitches if you swap 10_0W with 12_0W for example.
  • Using NONE! in index items works perfectly (Edit: If Crash is not in his normal form or Polar), which can be used to make the game not draw something (useful in space levels if you use doors properly).
  • Each zone in the index item has 3 (known) switches 32 bytes below it. 0x10 means "objects on", 0x0E means " solid on" and 0x07 means something I don't know yet. These can be combined. Note that "objects on" doesn't mean objects will not be drawn, but will just not run their "events" (if you touch them it crashes).
  • Some chunks do not like intruders.
  • There should be a list in the NSD that tells the game which chunks to load at startup. At the start, maybe?
  • Model, animation and code names are consistent throughout the trilogy, except for Crash.
  • What is the .BIN file in S0 in Crash 3 (all versions)? A second executable?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:37 am 
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Have thanks: 70 times
Hello. I haven't checked this thread for some time. I'm interested in replacing audio in speech chunks. I saw that replacing data in speech chunk is allowed in CrashEdit, but only as a raw data, not wav audio files. Is there any possibility to prepare wav file and replace it in game? I also read that chunk maximum size is 64kb, so I wonder how to deal with wav file with size 200kb and how to compress it to be smaller or equal chunk maximum size.

I'm also interested in modifying text in game like NEW GAME, LOAD GAME, EXIT etc. Have anyone tried that before? I can't find any chunk with that kind of data. ;)

Chekwob, I wish you good luck with your work! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi, I'm new to this site, And where is the .nsf file for Crash 1/3? I tried one of the folders, S1, S2 and S3. But it only gives me the textures and sounds. :?: