XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: JoWood's The Nations / Alien Nations 2 (*ca)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:34 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 4 times
So for few days now I'm trying to extract Alien Nations archives. So far I've managed to succesfuly extract music files. Yet when using same method for tga files I can't open images (manually copied data from file body and saved as TGA, it is working for mp3). I'm think Im missing something. Maybe I need dimensions and palette of some kind?

Archive is starting with magic "binary.archive00", then there is offset which contains file names. There is something before header ending but I cant figure it out.
I've found file names, reversed file types (gami = imag, ewav = wave, pmac = camp(aign), txet = text etc.), files length, files data offsets and files bodies.

One strange thing, there are some file names which are too long for 16 chars limit so they miss extension yet they still have file type

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

Last edited by glupiekonto on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: JoWood's The Nations / Alien Nations 2 (*ca)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:40 pm 
n00b

Header ending is always 01 but byte before varies from C0 to C1.
This 38 bookmark I can't figure out as well as 3C

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:46 pm 
n00b

So teal is filename obviously, gray for type, pink for file size and yellow is file body offset. Values before red endings varies in different archives

Attachments:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:58 am 
veteran

Have thanks: 20 times
Would need example files if want someone's help on this as else it's just guessing work without being able to try.

Anyway do the files have tga extensions on name or where the TGA assumption is from? It's often that name has the input image extension and yet the stored one may not be TGA/generic format anymore and if it is, it is missing possibly the native headers along the info and uses game's own.

Since you extract the files using the proper offsets, the files need to be figured out and in comparison MP3 is the most easiest format to extract/play as it holds playback header info all across the file so even wrong offset extracted mp3 would play, heck you can probably rename the archive holding mp3s into .mp3 and play it that way too unless archive is compressed.

Ah game(s) is as old as year 2001-2003, that makes one question if they used TGA, anyhow filename in archives being cut is not an issue often as archives usually store a file format type flag and thus game's don't make use of the file extension and the value would obviously differ in archives storing different files.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 pm 
n00b

Apollo wrote:
Would need example files if want someone's help on this as else it's just guessing work without being able to try.

Anyway do the files have tga extensions on name or where the TGA assumption is from? It's often that name has the input image extension and yet the stored one may not be TGA/generic format anymore and if it is, it is missing possibly the native headers along the info and uses game's own.

Since you extract the files using the proper offsets, the files need to be figured out and in comparison MP3 is the most easiest format to extract/play as it holds playback header info all across the file so even wrong offset extracted mp3 would play, heck you can probably rename the archive holding mp3s into .mp3 and play it that way too unless archive is compressed.

Ah game(s) is as old as year 2001-2003, that makes one question if they used TGA, anyhow filename in archives being cut is not an issue often as archives usually store a file format type flag and thus game's don't make use of the file extension and the value would obviously differ in archives storing different files.

Well, many of static sprites do share .tga extension (and gami (imag) flag) yet there is no "truevision" keyword in archives.

Here you can take a look: https://mega.nz/#F!yRclAa5I!K_8muFSNW2XvVXrMO_UTrQ
It contains Kaitai Struct definision, my python extractor and smallest game archive (there are 21 files of which 3 are .tga)