It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cyberflix (Titanic and Dust) archive files
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:58 am 
n00b

Have thanks: 0 time

I was wondering, given their cult classic status and fanbase, some of you might be willing to help me extract and understand the files of the games Titanic: Adventure Out of Time and Dust: A Tale of the Wired West.

Here are the files from the Titanic demo if you want to study them: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a1FEG ... 08QOvKTJmA

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: Cyberflix (Titanic and Dust) archive files
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am 
ultra-n00b

This is definitely not an easy request.

From some preliminary reverse engineering of Timelapse and Titanic I did a few years back, I figured out some about how the file formats worked. But I only looked at the binary files themselves; I never really got the motivation or time to open it up in the disassembler and actually reverse engineer things properly.

In short, all the file types (MOV, TRK, STG) seem to have the same general container format. I'm not even sure if there's enough metadata in each file to completely decode what is contained within. In other words, I suspect you'd have to read the main metadata files for the game before you'd know how to completely decode each resource file. This is only a guess, however.

If anyone wants to pick up the torch and give reverse engineering a shot, I'd be happy to post what I've figured out so far. It will take a little time to collect and format into a coherent description, however, so I don't want to do the work unless there is interest. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Post subject: Re: Cyberflix (Titanic and Dust) archive files
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:16 am 
n00b

Samuraid wrote:
This is definitely not an easy request.

From some preliminary reverse engineering of Timelapse and Titanic I did a few years back, I figured out some about how the file formats worked. But I only looked at the binary files themselves; I never really got the motivation or time to open it up in the disassembler and actually reverse engineer things properly.

In short, all the file types (MOV, TRK, STG) seem to have the same general container format. I'm not even sure if there's enough metadata in each file to completely decode what is contained within. In other words, I suspect you'd have to read the main metadata files for the game before you'd know how to completely decode each resource file. This is only a guess, however.

If anyone wants to pick up the torch and give reverse engineering a shot, I'd be happy to post what I've figured out so far. It will take a little time to collect and format into a coherent description, however, so I don't want to do the work unless there is interest. If anyone is interested, let me know.

I am interested.